Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Education Interview Day

Exactly a week ago, I sat in a room where  a very nice and professional woman told me how I should present myself in an interview.

"Unfortunately, something like 80% of someone's impression of you is based on appearance."

That means I'm already at a disadvantage. You see, as much as we preach the acceptance of everyone in the classroom, I'm not afforded the same acceptance in interviews. If you don't know me, I'll explain what this means: I'm morbidly obese, and many people tend to make a set of assumptions about me because of this. 

Just because I'm obese does not mean that I'm sloppy or lazy or unintelligent. I'm about as opposite from those three items as a person can get. If you don't believe me, ask every boss I've ever had. I work my booty off (obviously not literally or I wouldn't be writing this post). I go above and beyond what is asked of me because I want to show mastery instead of simple proficiency. 

The reason why I'm writing this post all of the sudden is because of something that happened today. Since last week, I've desperately tried to find a suit to wear to Education Interview Day. After looking for several days, I found it online. It was glorious. I researched the type of suit jacket that is recommended for "full figured" women, and I ordered it...with matching slacks!

However, as I was tracking my package that was supposed to arrive today, I suddenly got a notification that said it had been delivered at three.

Nobody at my house had seen it. 

I panicked for a good five minutes as I was researching my next course of action. Then, while talking to my mom about the issue, I came to this conclusion: it's not the end of the world. 

If I have to, I will show up to Education Interview Day in some nice slacks and a nice top. No, it won't be the formal business suit that was requested of me, but that will do in a pinch.

I am in NO WAY saying that acting or looking unprofessional is appropriate at any point, but as my internship principal likes to say, "We're not into dog and pony shows here." 

Neither am I. 

UPDATE: I have located my missing suit, and it is now in my possession.

However, my point still stands, and it is something to consider. There are many in my profession who, in my opinion, who should dress and act more professionally. I know that my mother has personally had to deal with an intern who was inappropriately dressed the first time she met her. Was she wearing what I proposed (slacks and a nice top)? No. She was in cut-off shorts, a spaghetti strap tank top, and flip flops. This is an outfit I would not wear to the grocery store, much less to the first meeting with my placement teacher.

Despite this, I think that dress should be something that is less standardized in the interviewing process. As a teacher, and really as an adult, you know exactly what is and what is not considered appropriate. There is a dress code. The administrators should address these issues once the teacher is actually working for them.

Again, I am not saying that I feel I should be able to wear sweatpants and giant t-shirts to school/interviews. I'm simply saying that if a person does not have enough common sense to avoid wearing these items in the classroom, wearing a suit to the interview is only going to mask the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment